Club History, Folkestone Golf Club

Sene Valley Golf Club, Hythe


Founded in 1888 by a group of London Commuters on land leased from Lord Radnor on, what was then, land on the outskirts of the town. (now occupied by the Lynwood Estate).
In the picture below. Sugar Loaf Hill is the centre back and the line of trees below it was the New Road but is now Churchill Avenue.

Originally 9 holes from 1888 to 1908 when the course was increased to 18 holes and formally opened by A. J. Balfour. The distinguished visitor arrived in his motor – a magnificent Napier car in company with Lady Elcho. he was met at the gates of the clubhouse by Sir Edward Sassoon Bart M.P. and Mr Mitchell the secretary of the club and shortly afterwards by the Mayor of Folkestone (Alderman F. Hall) After speeches a foursome was played over the newly extended course between A. J. Balfour who was partnered by J. Southon, the local professional, and Sir Edward Sassoon the captain of the club, who was partnered by Bernard Nicholls of international repute. The match was halved. After the event A. J. Balfour and Lady Elcho retired to Sir Edward’s weekend house party where they were joined by Lord Elcho and Winston Churchill.

It was one of the first courses in the area that recognised lady golfers and they had their own local champion. Miss Daisy Jeffrey who was one of the most prominent golfers of the 1890s.

The resident professional in these early days was Albert Whiting, brother of Fred at Royal St.Georges, who was the first man to use the ‘Wooden Iron’ now known as the 4 wood. The clubhouse was located on Radnor Park Avenue and now forms part of the Folkestone Sports Centre Building. All that remains of the old course is a 9 hole par 3 course, designed by Charles Whiting which is now part of the Folkestone Sports Centre.

‘Click On’ the articles below to enlarge.

Download the file below for more information on the two famous golfers who played the course as mentioned above.

Members of Folkestone Golf Club who fell in the war 1914-1918



G. E. Bernheim, Croix de Guerre.

2nd Reg., D’Artillerie Lourdes Born in London on 4th September 1894.he was a Gunner in the 2nd Heavy Artillery Regiment Killed on 6th October 1915 at Perthes-les-Hurlus in the department of the Marne aged 21 during the second battle of Champagne.The village of Perthes-les-Hurlus was destroyed in the actions of 25th September
1915. It was one of five villages that were never rebuilt and are now situated in the Military Camp of Suippes. The other four are Le Mesnil, Hurlu, Tahure and Ripont.

C. W. Blackall
Lieutenant Col.The Buffs. At his death aged 41., on 24th March 1918 he was a temporary Lt. Col. attached to the South Staffs Regiment. He was twice mentioned in dispatches and his name is commemorated on the Arras Memorial. He had previously served in the South African War He was the eldest son of the late Major Robert and Mrs Blackall of 64 Bouverie Road West and Grandson of the late Col. Samuel Wensley Blackall, Governor General of Sierra Leone and Brisbane Australia.

R. Z. Drake Brockman, MC.
Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery. Ralph Zouch Drake Brockman, Killed on 29th September 1917 aged 29, he is buried in Kandahar Farm Cemetery near Nieurwerke, Belgium. He was out on reconnaissance with a Colonel and Captain of the Royal Engineers when a shell burst near them and he was struck by a shell splinter.
His brother Lieutenant Alfred Drake Brockman, in the same brigade, was on observation duty and was making his way to his post where he met the stretcher bearers conveying the wounded party. He was informed that his brother was slightly wounded, but that the Colonel was seriously wounded. So, having spare dressings in his pocket, he felt it his duty to go to the colonel’s aid. On his return, he found that his brother had died on the way to the dressing station. The colonel died the next day.
Lieutenant Drake Brockman was the eldest son of Alfred Drake Brockman of 112 Sandgate Road Folkestone. This gallant officer received His Majesty’s commission in 1915 and went to France on September 18th, 1916. he had previously served in Folkestone as a soldier and notary. He was well known in the town and district. He was a valued member of the Folkestone Philharmonic Society. A Memorial Service took place in Holy Trinity Church on October 12th. Among the congregation were officers and petty officers of the Church Lads Brigade (Navel Section). Lieutenant Brockman had been a Sub-Lieutenant of the Brigade.

A. Corbett Edwards
Captain Royal West Kent Regiment. He was killed in action on 9th October 1915 during the battle of Loos. In his battalion, 24 officers and 800 men went into action and only one officer and 250 men remained effective after the action. He lived at Danehurst Folkestone. He was a good all-round sportsman and very
popular in town. He was the son of Sir Bevan Edwards, former M.P. for Hythe. He took a keen interest in local affairs, especially The Royal Victoria Hospital. At the beginning of 1915 he became a J.P. In April he was congratulated by the Recorder at the Quarter Sessions. He was a moving spirit of Folkestone C.C. and an all-rounder of quality for Hythe, Folkestone and other teams in the district. There was a photo of him in the Folkestone Express on October 15th, 1915.

W. Eric Berridge
2nd Lieutenant, 6th Somerset Light Infantry Died of wounds aged 22 on 20th August 1916 and is buried in Heilly Station Cemetery Mericourt L’Abbe, France which is situated South West of Albert. On 18th August the 6th Somerset Light Infantry took part in fighting close to Delville Wood and it is possible that he was seriously wounded that day and taken to one of the CCS at Heilly. Heilly Station Cemetery served a group of three Casualty Clearing Stations set up in 1916 which bore the brunt of the congestion caused by the enormous casualties of the 1st July 1916. The younger son of Dr W. A. Berridge and Mrs Berridge of Radnor Park West and formally of Redhill. He was educated at Sunningdale, Eton and New Colledge Oxford. He had been at the front for nine months.

Clive Griffin, MC and Bar
Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery TF.3rd Home Counties Brigade. He was reported dangerously wounded at the end of September and died on 11th November 1916 and is buried in the Salonika (Lembet Road) cemetery. He was educated at Tonbridge School and went to France on 21st
December1914. During the second battle of Ypes, he won the M.C. for gallantry.

F. H. Haden
2nd Lieutenant. 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade attached to the 11th Trenched Mortar Battery He was killed on 4th November 1917 and is buried in Monchy British Cemetery, Monchy-le Preux, France. He was the only son of the Vicar of All Souls Church Cheriton Folkestone the Rev. F. W. Haden

W. A. Menzies
2nd Lieutenant. Royal Garrison Artillery.163 Siege Battery He was killed on14th June 1917 and is buried in Dickenbusch New Cemetery, Belgium. He was the son of Mr J. A. Menzies of 9 Castle Hill Avenue, Folkestone.

G. Rennie
Captain 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.
He was killed on 26th October 1914, His body was never found and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial. (Panels 9&11)

R. P. Shaw
Captain 5th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers attached 2nd Battalion. Died on 28th November 1915 in Gallipoli and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

C.C. Stanfield
Captain 3rd Battalion The Buffs. Died on 31st May 1917 and is buried in Aldershot Military Cemetery. He was the son of Mr C. Stanfield of 36 Earls Avenue Folkestone.

R. H. Ames
Captain 2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment. Robert Henry Ames died on 6th January 1916 aged 27 and is commemorated on the Basra Memorial. Son of the late Thomas Ames JP and Mrs Ames of 29 Clifton Gardens, Folkestone. He was commissioned in the Leicestershire’s from the Special Reserve in 1911 and promoted Captain in February 1915. There is a photo of him in the Folkestone Express of 22nd September 1916.

W. H. Ames
Lieutenant. Royal West Kent Regiment. Son of the late Thomas Ames JP and Mrs Ames of 29 Clifton Gardens, Folkestone. He was commissioned in 1912. While at breakfast at Cambrai, “he ordered his platoon into trenches. Shortly after they came under rapid fire from the German Artillery and he showed himself cool under fire”. From the history of the Royal West Kent Regiment. He was killed on 6th September 1914 aged 23 and is buried in Compiegne South Military Cemetery.

V. W. Ames
Lieutenant.9th Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment. Son of the late Thomas Ames JP and Mrs Ames of 29 Clifton Gardens, Folkestone. Died on 6th September 1919 and is buried in Benoni Cemetery in South Africa.

Research carried out by Richard Young of Canterbury G.C.

Sene Valley Golf Club Logo

Sene Valley Golf Club

A fantastic undulating Henry Cotton designed course with amazing views and established greens, providing a true test of golf that can be enjoyed by golfers of all abilities.

Contact Details

40 Blackhouse Hill
Hythe
Kent
CT18 8BL

Phone: 01303 268513
Email: manager@senevalleygolfclub.co.uk

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday
Pro-shop 8.00am - 4.30pm
Clubhouse 8.00am – Dusk
Office 9.00am - 4.00pm

Saturday – Sunday
Pro-shop 8.00am – 5.00pm
Clubhouse 8.00am – Dusk
Office 10.00am - 4.00pm

Christmas Eve & Boxing Day
Pro-shop 8.00am - 3.00pm
Clubhouse 7.45am - 4.00pm
Christmas Day - Closed

House & Admin Manager

Tony Marsh 01303 268513
manager@senevalleygolfclub.co.uk

Admin
Donna Brandon 01303 268513
office@senevalleygolfclub.co.uk

Bar & Restaurant

John Prest 01303 268513
bar@senevalleygolfclub.co.uk

Bar & Deputy Manager
Steve Hunt 01303 268513
deputymanager@senevalleygolfclub.co.uk

PGA Professionals

Aaron Galbraith 01303 262550
aaron.galbraith1978@btinternet.com

Greg Holman 01303 262550
svgcassistant@gmail.com

Head Green Keeper

Jay Motta 01303 268513